Hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid, is a disorder resulting from a deficiency of certain crucial hormones.
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Puffy face
- Muscle weakness
- High cholesterol
- Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
- Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
- Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
- Thinning hair
- Slowed heart rate
- Impaired memory
- Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
If untreated, hypothyroidism can lead to such conditions as obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease.